Saturday 24 April 2010

Review of Dim T, Fitzrovia - Apr 2010

WhereDim T, Charlotte Street, Fitzrovia
With whom: the Poker Shark
How much?: steamed dim sum £3.25 for a set of three, noodles and assorted specials for £7-£10... we spent £30 (with a couple of drinks) and had a perfectly acceptable amount.


So Charlotte Street on a (probably the first) warm sunny Friday of the year. So many places we could have ended  up but the Poker Shark was really feeling like dim sum so we ended up in Dim T.


It's a small group with 8 locations, 6 of them in London, and it does have that chain feel to it. The staff are friendly, but not particularly  knowledgeable and while I'd prefer to eat in a hygienic establishment, I'd rather not see bottles of cleaning product on the serving counter.


Similar in style, there are certainly no surprises if you've eaten in the now near ubiquitous Ping Pong. We settled in next to a party of local office workers and ordered a few mixed dishes from the smiling Scandinavian host.


Starting off with a plate of Crispy Duck to share, I wasn't overly impressed with a flabby, overly fatty portion of meat and a sub MacDonald's size portion of overly sweet hoisin. 


The steamed dumplings were better thankfully. We went for the Prawn and Chive and the Mushroom steamed dim sum and a couple of portions of the Char Sui pork buns. The flavours all came through well (with the possible exception of the mushroom, slightly too Cream of Campbell Soup to be honest) but I've definitely had worse. The Char Sui buns were hot, fresh and a definite improvement on Ping Pong - though overall, the whole experience only served to make me crave a proper dim sum blow out... Give me a call if you fancy joining! 
Dim T on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

  1. I've been to Ping Pong near St Christopher's place and up near islington actually really liked it.

    Are there better spots in London?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Diana - Some, though I don't know of that many to be honest... There's a place called Pearl Liang in Paddington that I used to go to, if that's still as good as it was then that would be my recommendation. It does remind me though, I'll have to get myself down there soon!

    Rich

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do that Rich and let me know! :-)

    ReplyDelete