Sunday 4 April 2010

New York trip - the planning starts

So we're going to New York for a long weekend... predictably, it's all about the food for me. I've been there a few times before and have had some great experiences; the 3am 'lunch' at the Four Seasons, the late night pool, beer and hot dog sessions at Off The Wagon and Lucys and some great meals at the likes of Le Bernardin, Sardi's and Peter Luger.


The Vole doesn't want to spend all of her time eating but I've squeezed a few planned meals into the itinerary (slightly nerdy, but there are a few things I don't want to miss out on...)
  • Cookshop for a late breakfast (from Five Points owner and brunch maestro Marc Meyer)   
  • Bahn Mi from Nickys in Brooklyn, need to see how it checks out against Bay Cafe!
  • Burger - Shake Shack or Peter Luger depending where we end up
  • We've also booked Dirt Candy for the Saturday night, I'm hoping that a shot of (very tasty sounding) veggie goodness will give me necessary credit with The Vole. I'm desperately hoping to get to Colicchio and Sons, the new place from the guy behind Craft, and it may be a solo trip if I'm not careful!
If you've got any other suggestions then I'd love to hear from you... It's been a while since I've been! Drop me a line through Twitter or comment below. Reviews to follow for everywhere we check out. 

5 comments:

  1. I highly recommend Five Napkin Burger. (I think that Peter Luger's burgers are over-rated.) The Banh mi at Hanco's in Brooklyn is also great. If you enjoy Thai, Pongsri Thai on 48th is a must. Have a great trip to New York!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grumbling Gourmet5 April 2010 at 01:59

    @ Bromography - thanks for that! Five Napkin isn't one I've heard of before, just had a look at your review and it's definitely on the list! Ditto Hanco's... We're spending the day walking Brooklyn so will certainly try and fit a couple of banh mi! thanks for reading

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would seriously recommend the halal cart on 53rd and 6th. It's so delicious!

    Check this photoblog post what I did: http://willeatformoney.blogspot.com/2010/02/reminiscing-about-new-york-city.html

    I'm so jealous you're going soon, I'm sure you'll have an amazing time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ibzo...

    Left a reply on yours. For anyone else reading I definitely recommend you check Ibzo's photos. I'm now beyond excited!

    Rich

    ReplyDelete
  5. I insist that you go to Junior's in Brooklyn for a proper deli. They do a sandwich that uses potato latkes instead of bread. And they do matzo ball soup. (Already)

    http://www.juniorscheesecake.com/

    In other NY food news, we found a restaurant in the village called Elephant and Castle which you should at least take a photo of.

    Nice blog chum-bum xxx

    ReplyDelete