Saturday 19 June 2010

Review of Blah, Blah, Blah - June 2010


Where: Blah, Blah, Blah Vegetarian Restaurant, Shepherd's Bush, London
With who: Lady Vole
How much: £20 each (including a very good apple and elderflower drink, they're BYOB so grab some before you get there) for a shared starter, two big main courses and a pud.



Prior to seeing the excellent
Local Natives at the Shepherd's Bush Empire, we ended up walking away from the gentrification and the monolithic Westfield centre with its chain restaurants - destination, 
the wrong bit of Goldhawk Road and the appallingly named Blah, Blah, Blah. 
It's a stayer to be sure, having been there for 19 years. Outwardly down at heel with some very dated touches, I did like the 'make do and mend' theatre lanterns on the ceiling and we were very happy to take advantage of the crayons they supply to draw on the paper table cloths (can't see chef Ramsey letting you get away with that somehow). Despite this, it didn't seem the cheeriest of places to be honest, dark and a little muted, though this was possibly due to the early week visit.
If the atmosphere was muted, the food was anything but. We started with a shared plate of potato fritters, the spicy battered slices served hot, straight from the fryer. A nice green salad accompanied the portion, too big for one, and the slices were perfectly offset with a zingy piquant sauce (not dissimilar to A1 Steak Sauce to my untrained tastebuds). My main was a reasonable aubergine 'schnitzel', stuffed with a cheese and tomato mix, panko crumbed and oven baked. It was fair enough, but it did make me long for a slice of veal. Unlike the excellent Mildreds in Soho, I felt the lack of meat here. A mustard sauce was well done, though a little incongruous (and I couldn't taste the alleged jalapeno in it) and the overcooked potato cake it came with was a pointless afterthought.


Vole went for the quesadilla, served with perfectly cooked coconut spiced beans and a wonderfully punchy tomato and basil sauce.
For me, the defining moment came with the desert. I'd be tempted back here for this alone. A tower of creamy mango cheesecake came teetering on a light biscuit base topped with a contrastingly tart passionfruit sauce. The combination was a resounding success, as was the American portion. Vole pleaded satiety but still managed to 'help' me with this, "If I wasn't in a restaurant I'd be licking this plate right now..." Praise indeed.
They make a good argument here at Blah Blah Blah. It's a terrible name, but pleasing solid food. To me though, for food of this style, a robust, spiced vegetarian take on classic world dishes, I'll stick to Mildreds, or head to Vanilla Black, for its meat free take on fine dining.
Blah Blah Blah on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

  1. That is truly the most awful restaurant name in history, surely? Strange, I used to live in Shepherd's bush and I never noticed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Helen, is it the worst name in London though? Now there's a challenge...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Over the past ten years I have regularly been to this restaurant, as it was a favourite of mine. However on a recent (Jan) visit, I was very disappointed with the quality and originality of the food. The starters were unimaginative and of poor quality. I had baked camembert, my partner had vegetable tempura. I was surprised that the camembert consisted of a lump of cheese, melted and served in a dish, with some grated red onions. The latter was not, but was supposed to be a relish. I was expecting camembert rolled in breadcrumbs, baked and set in a mould, not melted liquid. The tempura came with a dip, which was overpowered by tamarind. The batter was flavourless, greasy and seemed to have been cooked in stale oil. I am not proficient at cooking but I think I could have made a better attempt. The main course was moussaka which was even more disappointing especially as the presentation looked nice. The three small pieces of aubergines were undercooked and poorly seasoned, the mozzarella, sliced tomatoes and béchamel was cold and the accompanying tomato sauce seemed like a tin of cold chopped tomatoes was poured over it. The dish actually tasted horrible. The other main course was linguine. This was definitely better than the moussaka but it was something that could equally be created to a slightly better standard at home. After years of attending blah, blah, blah’s, I will not be going again. The menu has become much less creative than it used to be, the cooking quality and use and variety of ingredients used has plummeted.

    ReplyDelete