Sunday 2 January 2011

Here are a few of my favourite posts...

I'm surprised.
If you'd told me a year ago when I started the Grumbling Gourmet that I'd still be going with it a year later, I'd have laughed, confident at my general lack of application, and suggested that you were likely to be mistaken.


So what have I learnt? Mainly that it's harder than it looks to write repeatedly about the same subject without descending into cliche and repetition (particularly true when you mainly write about burgers and steak). Secondly, that I eat out more than I thought I did. Thirdly, it's bloody good fun.


I'm not as presumptuous as to suggest that there's anybody desperately hoping for a round up of the best openings of the year, and so I'm just going to direct you to a few of my favourite articles of the last 12 months. 


Best place to host a Steak Club: Hawksmoor
Best place to go for brunch: Hawksmoor
Location of my final mealHawksmoor
Best place for a long, long afternoon of Soho food and drink: close call, both Polpetto and Bob Bob Ricard get honorable mentions, but the Dean Street Townhouse takes it for me.
Teary eyed farewell to: proper old school cafe Sergios
Most awaited opening: Forget Heston's new gaff, or the return of Pierre Koffmann, this one goes to  Camberwell's push for a Michelin star, Angels and Gypsies, after a three year wait...
Nearest I came to doing some proper research: A slightly obsessive article about the history of pizza 
Best burger I ate in 2010: In' n' Out Burger, San Francisco. That is all. 
OK, I will mention my favourite restaurant too, just because it gives me a chance to relive one of the most wonderful meals I've ever eaten. Worth flying to San Francisco for on its own: Zuni Cafe.


As I say, it's been a year of much drinking and eating. I've not written the half of it up, which goes somewhere towards explaining why I'm a considerably rounder (if not rounded) person than I was 12 months ago. Thank you all for reading. It's been a pleasure, and I'm glad so many people have enjoyed it. If you fancy joining me for a bite in the new year, drop me a line.

No comments:

Post a Comment