Sunday 21 November 2010

Breakfast at Leon - Nov 2010

WhereLeon, branches everywhere, this one was on Regent Street
I've always been a fan of Leon. Bright shiny healthy looking stores, with bright shiny healthy lunch options themed mainly around (ethically sourced) meat, what's not to like? I went through a phase of picking lunch up there a couple of times a week, particularly a sucker for their grilled chicken, always moist and tender and served with a tasty spiced brown rice and a 50/50 mix of garlicky thick aoili and ruby red sharp chilli sauce. From what I can work out, the quality of the food hasn't diminished with their gradual rollout, nine sites now and counting, so I'm pleased to report that it's a chain I can happily recommend, though I don't go there as much these days.
They've recently launched a breakfast menu and I popped in to try this last week. With the caveat that I've always been happy with the quality here, the breakfast struck an off note for me. A handful of sandwiches plus several porridge options comprise the menu. Brekkie staples plus 'New York options' (served on rye bread). I went for the bacon, egg and mushroom on nutty granary bread and sadly didn't think too much of it. A hot sandwich with sliced bread needs to be prepared fresh, as it'll lose any crunch in the toast seconds after you put it into a storage bag. The fillings had merged together and with the bread gave a rather soggy mess and the disappointing bacon was slightly plasticky and wafer thin. I think that this one might be a rare duff note, certainly something to avoid, unless you miss the notes of motorway service station in your London dining.
Leon on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment