Thursday 20 May 2010

Eating the World Cup - a call to fellow football foodies


Being both a football fan and a foodie, I’m taking a world cup themed trip over June. As I can’t justify the fares to go to South Africa (and don’t fancy getting deafened by the dreaded vuvuzela), I have a cunning plan... If you fancy getting involved, or have any other suggestions, either post below or send me an email at rich.major@gmail.com

My mission - The challenge is simple and elegant. I will, over the course of the next four weeks, consume breakfast, lunch or dinner at a national restaurant of each of our opponents (hopefully seven, the number that would take us to the Final!) While there I will gather any insight I can about our oppositions players and predilections and forward immediately to Fabio..


- First Thoughts on the Group Stages - 20th May
Initially the group stages seem to present little challenge, hopefully a state mirrored on the pitch. An obvious starter for our first fixture against the USA on the 12th June would be one of the great steak restaurants, and I’ve never needed much of an excuse to go to Hawksmoor. Sadly, I think that could be a little bit of a cheat, so I’ll be looking around for other options here. 
Read my American article and reviews here
The game against Algeria on Fri 18th June throws up the possibility of Khamsa‎ on Acre Lane in Brixton or Darna in Hampstead. Both offer predominantly Algerian cuisine with (hopefully) some intense, flavourful salads, ubiquitous tagine and plenty of bread to soak them both up. I’ve been to Momo in Heddon Street a few times and it’s always good for a laugh and I remember hearing some very good things about a French / Algerian place in Crystal Palace called Numidie that could be worth checking out.
Slovenia (Weds 23rd June) poses more of a challenge… While there are a few Balkan restaurants in London, it’s proving hard to track down somewhere authentically and specifically Slovenian. There is however the elegantly named Czechoslovak National House in Hampstead which looks so bizarre that I think it may have to be done. I’m currently waiting for the Slovenian Embassy to come back to me with other suggestions (never let it be said I don’t do my research).
Various calculations will tell you our likely opponents should we progress further into the draw, with a scary encounter with either Germany or Ghana possible for the weekend of the 26th. I’m going to wait on the results before booking these but watch this space!

8 comments:

  1. Nice idea here mate. I would very much like to be involved in some way! By the way, if you need some ideas, check out this blog: http://london-food.blogspot.com/

    It's a good one. I hope this takes off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent spot, thanks for that. I've heard about this one before and will definitely have to get them involved. We were talking soul food last night (though I am still thinking about Hawksmoor!

    Kinda hoping that we get Ghana in the last 16 as that should be a very easy (and local) meal in Peckham! Let's keep fingers crossed and work out timings..

    Rich

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great idea. I would love to be involved, but alas it looks like my new company are sending me to India and China during the World Cup. Gutted.
    Thankfully no chance of playing North Korea or Honduras...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe you've not visited the Czech pub before - a firm favourite with myself and Nico Polo in the Hampstead days. If you're going then I'm in...

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Dave - China, bad luck! means you're going to be in for a few late nights (or early mornings) if you want to keep up with play

    @ Bet - I don't think it's the same one... this one is more West Hampstead. A Czech pub may not be quite authentic enough! That being said, I'm up for doing both... will call

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here yea, Here yea... The first date and location for the 'Eating the World Cup' campaign is fixed...

    As described, I'm going to be eating the food of each of our opponents to better understand their ways, players and motivations. The USA is an easy foodie start, but I'm not interested in easy.. no sir! I want authentic, and I hope that you do too. That's why on WEDNESDAY 9TH JUNE, we'll be descending on THE SPOT in Kilburn for some classic Southern food y'all...

    Corn bread, (proper) Southern fried chicken, ribs, Mac N Cheese and Cajun fritters... it ain't gourmet, but it does sound good...

    The Spot Soul Food Kitchen (http://tinyurl.com/35vpq6o)
    58 Willesden Lane, London, NW6 7SX (Queen's Park, Kilburn, Brondesbury and W Hampstead are all near)
    Weds 9th June - 8pm

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting post, you may be interested in The Football Pie League..?

    http://www.hospitalityandcateringnews.com/search/the%2Bfootball%2Bpie%2Bleague

    If so let me know

    Denis

    Denis Sheehan
    Publisher, Hospitality and Catering News
    www.HospitalityandCateringNews.com
    www.CateringEquipment4Hospitality.com
    07596 742380

    einsidetrack, 42 Chesterfield Grove, London SE22 8RW

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Denis - What a bloody brilliant idea! For me it'd be the Curry Pies at Bradford City a few seasons back.. they've changed caterers now, but they were excellent. Remember a few of the West Midlands teams tried to claim they'd got in first, but we know differently...

    Running against that of course, you have the travesty that is the catering at Wembley, where they don't serve pies at all, instead relying on stupidly expensive fish and chips blasted to within an inch of their lives!

    Rich

    ReplyDelete